Hand and Body


Hand and Body Protection

Jackets, gloves and apparel can be found in every welding facility, but not all products are created equal. Making sure your operators are wearing the best protection for the application is critical in not only reducing injuries and downtime, but also ensuring optimal performance. If the protection is comfortable, has a good fit and provides the necessary protection your welders will keep it on – increasing productivity and compliance.

Statistics & Trends


70% of employees with hand injuries reported not wearing gloves at the time of the injury. The injuries of the remaining 30% were caused by inadequate, damaged or inappropriate gloves.


More than 25% of all workplace accidents involve hand and finger injuries.


Work-related burns account for 20-25% of all serious burns requiring hospital attention.

The Talk: Terms & Definitions 

NFPA – National Fire Protection Association, the world's leading advocate of fire prevention. The NFPA develops, publishes and distributes codes and standards intended to minimize the possibility and effects of fire and other risks.

ANSI – American National Standard Institute, a nonprofit organization that defines and oversees common standards and assessment systems.

Kevlar® Thread – Almost 2½ times stronger than nylon or polyester, with a heat decomposition (turns to ash) of 800º F. Does not melt.

Flame Retardant – Materials that have been chemically treated to self-extinguish. Surface finishes and coatings are applied that inhibit, suppress or delay the production of flames.

Flame Resistance – Materials that are inherently self-extinguishing and resistant to catching fire. They will not melt or drip when exposed directly to extreme heat, and protection is built into the fiber itself and can never be worn away or washed out.

Are You Covered?

OSHA Standard 1910.132
Employees exposed to the hazards created by welding, cutting, or brazing operations must be protected by PPE in accordance with the requirements of the general personal protective equipment standard. Appropriate protective clothing required for any welding will vary with the size, nature and location of the work to be performed.

ANSI Z49.11
- Requires all welders to wear protective flame-resistant gloves that provide the heat resistance and general hand protection needed for welding.
- Must be in good repair, dry and capable of providing protection from electric shock by the welding equipment.
- Insulating linings should be used to protect areas exposed to high radiant energy.
- Clothing and apparel must provide sufficient coverage and be made of suitable materials to minimize skin burns, ideally leather or flame resistant materials.

NFPA 51B, 5.1 Personal Protective Clothing Clothing shall be selected to minimize the potential for ignition, burning, trapping hot sparks and electric shock.